WASHINGTON (Jan. 27, 2009)—The 20 winning images in National Geographic’s “Visions of Paradise” photography contest have been selected. Photographers were asked to submit images that best represented their unique vision of heaven on Earth. The winners will each receive a customized edition of the National Geographic book “Visions of Paradise,” with their winning photograph as the cover image.
The winners are:
- John Hart of Oconomowoc, Wisc., for two entries: a photo of a frost-covered horse and an image of a child in a fountain.
- Mai Le Trinh of Las Vegas for her photo of a sunset on Corona del Mar Beach, California.
- Kelsey Hargrove of Orlando, Fla., for an image of a pizza deliveryman in New York’s Times Square.
- Jorge Fajl of Agoura Hills, Calif., for his image of children on a beach at sunset.
- Damien Murphy of Redmond, Wash., for an image of a snowy hill.
- Suzanne Mathia of Scottsdale, Ariz., for her photo of Havasu Falls in Arizona.
- Mitch Dobrowner of Studio City, Calif., for his photo of Shiprock in New Mexico.
- Thomas Prezkop of Scottsdale, Ariz., for an image of Slide Rock in Arizona.
- Sarah Le of Alexandria, Va., for her photo of a couple on a bench.
- Harry Ogloff of Salmon Arm, British Columbia, Canada, for his photo of a reflection of the Rocky Mountains.
- David Pincus of Fayetteville, Ark., for an image of the Wonder Wheel at Coney Island, Brooklyn, N.Y.
- Greg Clark of Redding, Calif., for his photo of a sunrise.
- Gemm Ferrane of Harwich, Essex, U.K., for his image of an Essex lighthouse.
- Sarah Condon of Skaneateles, N.Y., for her photo of a horse rolling in dirt.
- Dena Bowman of Amherst, N.Y., for an image of a rock formation in Page, Arizona.
- Dieter Turk of Glasgow, Scotland, for his picture of a sailboat.
- Joseph Romeo of Lorton, Va., for an image of a red barn.
- Andrea Robinson of Santa Cruz, Calif., for a photo of waves on a beach.
- Louis Decarlo of Edinburgh, Scotland, for his photo of the ocean off the Isle of Lewis, Outer Hebrides.
The competition ran in conjunction with the publication of the book “Visions of Paradise,” in which National Geographic photographers were asked to provide images that reflected what they considered as perfect, spellbinding or most divine in the world.
The winning “Vision of Paradise” contest images can be viewed at the competition Web site, www.nationalgeographic.com/myvision.